I like Lara Bars. They serve as an easy snack on a busy day, and they’re one of the only food bars I know of that doesn’t have added sugar or weird chemicals in it. Most Lara Bars only have a few ingredients, and you can pronounce all of them.
Although I could go to the store and stock up on Lara Bars, I prefer to make them myself since it’s much cheaper. There’s something about it being fresh that makes it taste better too! This recipe is similar to their Cashew Cookie flavor, except it has chocolate added!
Okay, now to the recipe! You will need a food processor for this one.
1 and 1/4 cup packed, pitted soft whole dates
1 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Only 3 ingredients!
- Line a 9-by-5 inch pan with plastic wrap or wax paper
- Process cashews in a food processor until finely chopped but not paste-like. Add the dates and cocoa until the mixture begins to stick together and clump against the sides of the bowl. Tip: I used to have an issue where the dates would clog up the food processor. I fixed this by chopping in a certain order.
- First, I chopped the cashews as fine as I wanted them.
- Then I added all the cocoa.
- Then I added the dates, but only a few at a time. As they get coated in the cocoa, they stop sticking to each other and the blades of the food processor.
- Transfer to pan, pat down to compress, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
This is the chopped-up product before being smooshed into the pan:
Getting smooshed into the pan (or glass tupperware in this case):
The final product:
Now you can enjoy a healthy bar with ingredients that you can pronounce and no added sugar, for a much cheaper price!